Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Time to Stock up on Earplugs and Advil



Jerrod has band this year and chose to play the alto saxophone. The school has instruments that the kids can use but unfortunately they had more kids wanting to borrow than instruments so for us it was either rent one or buy one. So, after a very disappointed child came home from school yesterday after he didn't get picked to have a school instrument I did a quick search on craigslist. I found an alto saxophone in great condition for less than a year of renting. I called my brother and asked if he would go look at it with me so I didn't go to a strange guy's apartment alone. As soon as we got there I was so glad he was with me. He had stringy hair, no shirt on and they had their apartment decorated with lovely marijuana pipes. I was so focused on the saxophone that I didn't notice their lovely decor but my brother Jason did. He said that there were several pipes and that one was all stuffed and ready to go. I thought it smelled funny in there! Anyway, the saxophone is in great condition and Jerrod is happy and so am I that I found a smoking good deal (no pun intended) . Since I played the alto sax when I was in school it was fun to show him what little I remembered but then when he tried to make a sound I realized this is going to be a long week until he learns how to make a proper sound and not a very loud goose like HONK!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How fun!!! Good luck with the practice time. Matthew started playing the trumpet last year. We always thought it sounded like a cow was dying in our house when he first started. It is fun to see them grow and have it actually sound like songs over time :)

Lindsay Griffeth said...

You make me laugh. He was very cute last night when he came in to enrichment to chat with the ladies. He's excited to play his instrument!

The Reno Donnelly's said...

I thought the flute was bad last year when Keely started it but I'm sure right now the sax is worse. Bree did complain alot about Keely practicing, even hidden in the closet the noise was too much for her. Good luck to all of you.

The Spencer Family said...

LOL! You crack me up..."I thought it smelled funny in there!" I remember learning to play the flute in 6th grade, I used to get so stinkin' light headed!!hahhaha
HOW FUN!