Friday, April 18, 2008

Some Advice Please!

So, I added a poll on the side of this blog to see what everyone thinks I should do about school. I am really confused about what I should apply for. Here are my different scenarios. This summer I need to get into an Anatomy and Physiology class which is a post all in itself. It is going to be a bugger to find a spot. Anyway, after I finish that class I could apply for RN school and if I get accepted I could start in the spring. I would finish in December of 2010. They accept students twice a year and accept over 120. The pros: it is probably easier to get into this program and I could still make good money during Derek's residency, I would have to take a lot less classes before I can apply, I could possibly work with my hubby in the future, probably more exciting than cleaning teeth all day. The cons: 12 hour shifts.

Second choice: To apply for the dental hygiene program that starts in Sept. 09 I would need to get into my anatomy class this summer and then try to take a couple more also during the summer. Then this fall I would need to take more math, chemistry, and another anatomy class. I also have to take a spatial and dexterity test in August. Pros: good money when I am done, cushy hours. Cons: they only accept 32 students a year, so who knows if i will get in, intense program if you do get in.

Third choice is: I can apply for the nursing program in the spring and see what happens. If I get in, I could decide what to do. I would still have to take all of my dental hygiene prerequisites and then if I don't get into the RN program in the Spring I can apply to both the dental hygiene and the RN program for the fall.

Both programs do their acceptances based on a point system. You get points for GPA, score on your dexterity test, finishing certain classes etc...

So, I would love all of your opinions!!!

9 comments:

holmesfamily8 said...

What a tough decision Kristine! I will tell you this: the RN program might be tougher to get into than you think. There are a ton of qualified people out there who don't get in, because there are just too many that apply. Go with your heart, and what you really think you would enjoy doing. Good luck!

Kevin and Natali McKee said...

What type of work do you like more? The idea of being able to work with your husband is nice, but do you prefer cleaning teeth or doing nursing work?

Anonymous said...

I say look at all of your options and decide on dental and/or nursing. There are positive and negative to both. What does your heart tell you? If you can work towards both at the same time while you decide...that is what I would do. The Lord will lead you towards what is best for you and your family. Be patient.
Love Mom

Julie Moore said...

Hi! All I have to add is when you said you could work with your hubby, I thought that would be really fun! It just depends on what you think you would enjoy long term. Good luck with your decision!

Britt and Rick said...

I found your blog!! Hope we can be friends!! well after discussing this one night after bunko i think both are promising. Over all I have friends doing both and hands down they feel that the nursing is definately higher stress and less appreciative depending on the specific field! D.H. Is definately not easire but the environment seems to be a bit less strenuous and demanding in a sense! It doesn't matter both are promising, intense and can be whatever you want them to be!

Jenny and James said...

The only thing I would point out is who will be with the kids while your working your 12 hour shift if you did nursing. I'm assuming Derek will be working long hours while he's doing his residency.

Personally I would go for the dental route. With 4 kids I think normal business hours would be better. In the end you just have to go with your gut. Yeah we can all give you advice, but probably the best thing to do is pray about it (I know that's a Mom answer) so that you can make the best decision for you and your family.

Lindsay Griffeth said...

You can't go wrong with either...but what a tough decision. I kinda think the 12 hour shifts are a positive....then you only work a few of them a week instead of daily!

Dana Christensen said...

How ambitious! Reading your blog make me feel lazy... :) Good luck with whatever you decide! (I voted for DH, you can work when the kiddos are in school)

Anonymous said...

you should sit on the corner of the freeway off of tropicana and
I15. bumbs get all kinds of money! you could buy all kinds of bling and roll in a vw bus. thats what i think you should do! shoot for the stars your a special girl! also give some of that money to your brother because he helps you out sooooo much! Ginger.